Forums » Introduce Yourself

n homer off Michael Tonkin in the seventh

• June 2, 2017 6:43 PM CDT

DETROIT -- Gustav Nyquist made the most of his return from the minors. Custom San Jose Sharks Jersey . Niklas Kronwall was credited with the tie-breaking goal in the third period, Nyquist had 2 goals and the Detroit Red Wings broke a seven-game game losing streak with a 4-3 win over the Carolina Hurricanes on Thursday night. Nyquist was recalled from the Grand Rapids Griffins of the American Hockey League earlier in the day. He wasnt there because he wasnt good enough to make the team out of training camp, but due to salary cap reasons. He was one of Detroits best forwards in training camp and during the exhibition season after playing a key role for the Red Wings on the third line during last seasons playoffs. Only a shoulder separation to defenceman Danny Dekeyser in Tuesday nights 2-0 loss to Nashville, which put him on the long-term injured list, gave Detroit the cap space to bring Nyquist back. "Well see, well see what happens here," Nyquist said after the game. "Obviously this is where I want to play and I want to be a part of this team and hopefully well be able to work that out." He scored his first goal just 17 seconds into the game by putting in a loose puck from the bottom of the right circle. "It was a lucky bounce there, but it for sure was nice to get a quick one so that felt great," Nyquist said. Henrik Zetterberg assisted on both Nyquists tallies and Darren Helm added a goal for Detroit. Jonas Gustavsson made 24 saves. "We needed to win and it was a good win for us. I thought our team played well. We had lots of opportunities," Red Wings coach Mike Babcock said. "We made it closer than we needed to, for sure. I thought we really carried territorial play. Our specialty teams were outstanding." Andrej Sekera scored twice and Brett Bellemore got his first NHL goal for Carolina. Justin Peters stopped 43 shots. "Theyre a good hockey team and they played well. . They owned the puck," Sekera said. Kronwall was credited with the 5-on-3 power-play goal that broke a 2-2 tie 8:29 into the third period when Hurricanes captain Eric Staal accidentally kicked the puck into his own net. Nyquist scored on a breakaway with 4:02 left. Sekera got his second goal with a short-handed effort in the last minute. Detroit killed off a 1:36 two-man disadvantage late in the second period and early in the third. "We were right there in the third period. We had a 5-on-3 that we had the chance to go up," Sekera said. "We didnt score and they scored on theirs." Sekera tied the game at 2 with 7:09 left in the middle period with his first goal. He made a move past the Red Wings Todd Bertuzzi and then beat Gustavsson with a wrist shot from the slot off the rush. It was Sekeras third goal. Bellemore put Carolina on the board 5:49 into the middle period, making it 2-1 by completing a give-and-go with right wing Radek Dvorak and whipping a one-timer from the bottom of the right circle past Gustavsson. Helm gave Detroit a 2-0 lead 2:37 into the second period. He also beat Peters with a shot from the bottom of the right circle for his third goal. NOTE: Hurricanes LW Jeff Skinner returned after missing 11 games with an upper-body injury. . Carolina RW Alexander Semin missed his second game with a concussion. . The Red Wings played their first complete game without rookie D Danny DeKeyser, who will miss three-to-six weeks with a separated left shoulder. He was put on long-term IR. . Hurricanes D Tim Gleason, LW Nathan Gerbe and LW Drayson Bowman are all from Michigan. . Detroit RW Daniel Alfredsson (groin) missed his fourth game and Red Wings C Stephen Weiss (groin) missed his sixth. . Carolina D Jay Harrison missed his second game with an illness. . Brendan Shanahan, the NHLs vice-president of hockey and business development and director of player safety was honoured before the game for his recent Hall of Fame induction. He played for Detroit in 1996-97 and 2005-06. . Detroit D Brian Lashoff left the game in the second period due to the flu. NOTE: Hurricanes LW Jeff Skinner returned after missing 11 games with an upper-body injury. . Carolina RW Alexander Semin missed his second game with a concussion. . The Red Wings played their first complete game without rookie D Danny DeKeyser, who will miss three-to-six weeks with a separated left shoulder. He was put on long-term IR. . Hurricanes D Tim Gleason, LW Nathan Gerbe and LW Drayson Bowman are all from Michigan. . Detroit RW Daniel Alfredsson (groin) missed his fourth game and Red Wings C Stephen Weiss (groin) missed his sixth. . Carolina D Jay Harrison missed his second game with an illness. . Brendan Shanahan, the NHLs vice-president of hockey and business development and director of player safety was honoured before the game for his recent Hall of Fame induction. He played for Detroit in 1996-97 and 2005-06. . Detroit D Brian Lashoff left the game in the second period due to the flu. Paul Martin Jersey . For Bergevin, the best pick is the 30th — which traditionally goes to the Stanley Cup winner. "Thats our goal. Logan Couture Sharks Jersey . On Saturday night, Winnipegs strong offense was again accompanied by some fantastic pitching which gave the Fish a commanding victory.DETROIT - Miguel Cabrera, Victor Martinez and Max Scherzer will all happily give Jim Leyland credit for improving their careers. Saturday, they got a chance to pay him back. On the day the Tigers honoured their former manager in a pregame ceremony, Cabrera and Martinez both hit three-run homers and Scherzer threw well enough to lead the Tigers over the Minnesota Twins 9-3. "We had a lot of great memories with Jim, so we wanted to give him one more," Cabrera said. "We wanted that for him, because of everything he did for us." Cabrera connected for his fifth homer, tagging Kyle Gibson (3-3), while Martinez hit his eighth of the season and fourth in the last six games. "It was great to see Jim today, because hes still a big part of our family," Martinez said. "You see him today, running around and hugging people, and you forget how old he is, because he doesnt have the attitude of an old man. He still seems young, and we all loved seeing him, because he has done so much for all of us." Scherzer (5-1) wasnt sharp yet still won, giving up three runs on five hits and four walks in six innings. He struck out six — his team-record streak of fanning at least seven in seven starts to begin a season ended. "I couldnt find my release point today, but I was able to get through it," he said. "I gave up one big shot, but the rest of the time, I was able to make enough pitches to get the outs I needed and get out of any jams. "And Leyland must have been proud. He always managed for Miggy and Victor to hit three-run homers for him," he said. After the 69-year-old Leyland threw out the first pitch, another of his favourite players made an immediate impact. Don Kelly, a utilityman who owes his major league career to Leylands patience and trust, reached over the left-field fence in the first inning to steal a homer from Kurt Suzuki. Kelly then scored the games first run as the Tigers took a 2-0 lead in the second on RBI singles by Alex Avila and Andrew Romine. Detroit added another run when second baseman Brian Dozier dropped shortstop Danny Santanas flip, then threw wildly to the plate as Avila scored. "Danny should have just thrown to first there, but he got himself into trouble by trying to get the out at second," Twins manager Ron Gardenhire said. "You cant make those kind of mistakes against that team." The error had major consequences, as Cabrera followed with his homer for a 6-0 lead. David Schlemko Jersey. "That was a huge mistake by the Twins, and we all knew it as soon as we saw the error," Scherzer said. "If you let us extend an inning and get Miggy to the plate, hes going to make you pay for it. Thats exactly what he did." The Twins closed the deficit on Doziers long, three-run shot in the third, but werent able to do anything else against Scherzer. Anthony Swarzak relieved Gibson and pitched four shutout innings, but the damage had already been done. "I just got behind too many guys, and then you have to come in over the plate," Gibson said. "You cant do that against a team like Detroit. They are a pretty good team when you have to throw the ball down the middle." Martinez broke open the game with a three-run homer off Michael Tonkin in the seventh. Martinez, who is hitting .328 at the age of 35, is on pace to easily surpass his career high of 25. "I knew Victor was a great hitter before I got here, but he has continued to surprise me all season," said Leylands successor as manager, Brad Ausmus. "I keep saying it — Ive never seen a hitter like him." Tigers reliever Phil Coke got into the game in his latest role as the mop-up man. He allowed a leadoff single, drawing boos from the crowd, but Cabrera helped him out with a 3-6-3 double play that led to a shutout inning. "We need to get Phil going in games like this so that we can work him in to tougher situations," Ausmus said. "Miggy helped him out today, and hopefully, this will get the ball rolling." NOTES: The Tigers honoured Leyland and had him throw out the first pitch to longtime friend and Tigers bench coach Gene Lamont. Leyland, the only manager to lead Detroit to four post-season appearances, was also presented with a framed painting by team president Dave Dombrowski, Justin Verlander and Cabrera. "It was a great run for eight years," Leyland said before the game. "I only wish we could have brought a World Series trophy to this city." ... A fan behind the Twins dugout got an ovation after catching a foul ball with his left hand while cradling his daughter in his right arm. ... Scherzers eight games with at least six strikeouts is the second-longest streak to start a season in franchise history, trailing his own 19-game run last year. Cheap NFL Jerseys Cheap NFL Jerseys China Cheap Jerseys From China Cheap NFL Jerseys Authentic Wholesale Jerseys China Cheap NFL Jerseys China NFL Cheap Jerseys ' ' '